Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Nourish ~ Some Pages for Your Soul

Welcome to Nourish: 31 Days of Family, Food, and Faith. This is Day 22. To see the rest of the series click here!

When I need some nourishment I often turn to a book or two or three and do my very best to get lost in a story. When I need to learn about how to nourish my soul I ask my Man, who has read a lot about this lately, for some book recommendations. 

Some pages to nourish your soul...

Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You by John Ortberg 

My Man has been repeating a line from this book for months, it goes something like this:

"You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life."



The publisher's description:
In an age of materialism and consumerism that tries to buy its way to happiness, many souls are starved and unhealthy, unsatisfied by false promises of status and wealth. We’ve neglected this eternal part of ourselves, focusing instead on the temporal concerns of the world—and not without consequence.

Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion by Wayne Cordeiro

This book is full of practical ideas on how to to replenish yourself. The author also includes his own story of burnout and depression and what he learned as a result. My Man has read this one twice and has benefitted each time.


Publisher's description: 

In Leading on Empty, Wayne Cordeiro candidly shares his experience with the hope that it will encourage others headed down the same path. He was able to get back in touch with his life, get back in proper balance, and allow God to reenergize his spirit in a way that propelled him forward to greater levels of service. Learn from his experience how you can continue a fruitful ministry. Better yet, take advantage of Wayne's helpful advice early on and avoid burnout altogether.

Thirsting for God: Spiritual Refreshment for the Sacred Journey by Gary Thomas

I've written before about Gary Thomas. I like his style. He writes on many topics including marriage, fitness, and spiritual growth. My Man says that Thomas mines the wells of old authors that most of us aren't familiar with today and shares with us the deep wisdom that is to be gained from writers past. 


From a reviewer: I find myself inspired and challenged not just in thought but in deed! He makes a good case for quoting many of the ancient classics that while you might not always agree with the author's whole theology, you can still be enriched by the passion that drove their pursuit. This book is full of practical helps to direct you towards a growing walk with God characterized by both devotion and action.

Replenish: Leading from a Healthy Soul by Lance Witt

This book addresses the problem of how one gets depleted and provides practical ways to combat depletion. One of the best chapters is entitled, "The iPhone and Your Soul." Highly recommended especially if you are in a leadership position in any area of your life.


From the publisher: Every leader functions on two stages-the front stage or public world, and the back stage or private world. One cannot lead successfully front stage when one is completely depleted back stage....Replenish helps leaders focus on the back stage, the interior life, in order to remain spiritually healthy.

It would never have occurred to me to read a book about my soul and its nourishment. I'm so glad it occurred to my husband because I've seen how beneficial the information contained in these books has been to him. I was also sitting near as he read them almost without blinking, soaking in all that there was to learn and sharing with me from time to time the highlights, often saying, "You'd really benefit from reading this chapter." or "Listen to what he says about..." 

Here's your chance to learn what my Man has learned and to read some of the books that are soon to be on my "To Be Read" stack.


“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” 

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails